Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is Atheism on the rise?
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Why is Atheism on the rise?
Atheism is on the rise in most all countries, especially USA, and the other day I was asked why this is. My guess is that in the last 10 years the dawn of instant information has helped, but more likely it is that people of all ethnic and religious groups have realized that no matter what good religion brings, there is so much violence that is committed because of religious differences that it is just not that important. That people think (at least deep down) that just because their views differ on the logistics of what is correct, doesn't prevent a MORAL God from being MORAL.

This is just my thought on the matter, I'm interested in hearing what other people think. Even if your not a member, you can reply to this via twitter or facebook by just clicking the T-Connect or F-Connect buttons above.

So what do you think the reasons that Atheism is on the rise are?

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2013, 01:59 PM
RE: Why is Atheism on the rise?
This question is as complex as the cosmos, but I'd like to tackle it anyway---from my own American experience. Religion fails to give us rational reasons for circumstances in our lives. Religion is fear based to a certain degree. Information with the internet abounds! We now have more to consider, and more like minded people to interact with. This might sound like a personal crisis, but I was raised in an alcoholic, angry, Catholic-Agnostic family in the Bible belt. How many of us have the same or similar story? Do you believe in Jesus? Whose Jesus? Because of the confusion that Religion offers, I've developed a sort of neurosis. Even as I write this, there is an element of fear deep down that I am making "God" angry. How many of us have the same story? I have been granted more peace reading the 10 myths about Atheism, than I have ever gotten at mass or listening to a sermon at many protestant churches. I love listening to Stephen Hawking. He's not afraid to be honest.: "Tiny variables can have big consequences"--- Apply that to the Universe, Earth, and our personal lives. My religious friends and family attribute this state of mind to the "Devil". "It's done-got-a-holt-to-you." Our bodies can only handle so much OCD (anxiety) induced by [/font]confusion. I've seen a lot of good from non-religious people, and that gives me hope in mankind.

[font=Impact]
(10-09-2011 11:54 AM)Garrett Fogerlie Wrote:  Atheism is on the rise in most all countries, especially USA, and the other day I was asked why this is. My guess is that in the last 10 years the dawn of instant information has helped, but more likely it is that people of all ethnic and religious groups have realized that no matter what good religion brings, there is so much violence that is committed because of religious differences that it is just not that important. That people think (at least deep down) that just because their views differ on the logistics of what is correct, doesn't prevent a MORAL God from being MORAL.

This is just my thought on the matter, I'm interested in hearing what other people think. Even if your not a member, you can reply to this via twitter or facebook by just clicking the T-Connect or F-Connect buttons above.

So what do you think the reasons that Atheism is on the rise are?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious