Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is Your Religion?
05-29-2011, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011 09:40 AM by Garrett Fogerlie.)
What is Your Religion?
Here is a graph of the results of THIS survey, asking what is your parents religion?

Obviously this isn't an accurate example of the religion of any population, it is just the views of the people who enjoy this forum, and EvilTheists.com & EvilAtheists.com

For those of you who select the "Other" option, let me know what your religion is, thanks.
Also you can see the entire survey and results here, they aren't interactive yet, but I'm working on it.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
RE: What is Your Religion?
Wondering why you've separated Catholic and Christian.
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
lol, I could try to give an educated answer to it, but when it comes down to it, my grand parents, my mothers parents were strict Catholic, and my mother went to Catholic school, and at some point before she had me, she "converted" (not really converted since that means changing from one thing to another, and switching from Catholic to Christian, is more like labeling yourself male, then erasing it and putting human.) Never-the-less, she did and raised me with strong tones of "praying to saints is a violations of the 1st commandment" and other such things that further stretched the rift between Catholic and Christians in my mind.

And I feel that a lot of people, in America at least, think there is a difference. Perhaps that is a result of my upbringing though.

I think you might get a kick out of this post, http://forum.eviltheists.com/showthread.php?tid=25 It's a conversation I had with a Christian, earlier today. Keep in mind that yesterday me and you had a conversation about our contradicting beliefs, and through every second of this one I kept thinking what difference it is talking to someone who has thoroughly thought about what they believe, regardless of the outcome Wink At the end of it I even told them to read your post.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
05-29-2011, 11:55 PM
In my short attempt to find the pie chart of the American population percentage who believe in... Where I'm sure I recall it showing around 35% Catholic, 35% Christian, 15% Atheists/Agnostic (it's been awhile but I think I'm within 1 or 2% on those stats) Anyway, I came across the America prison population by religion (if you haven't heard this argument, the data seems to Highly support that morality doesn't come from religion, I can barely keep my eyes open right now, so I won't get into it)

But it made me think to ask you; If you think that morality comes from religion. Or if religion and the idea of it, never existed, where do you think society would be? Thats a broad question, I know, but I'm too tired and your bright enough to infer what I'm talking about.

06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
(05-29-2011 11:35 PM)Garrett Fogerlie Wrote:  lol, I could try to give an educated answer to it, but when it comes down to it, my grand parents, my mothers parents were strict Catholic, and my mother went to Catholic school, and at some point before she had me, she "converted" (not really converted since that means changing from one thing to another, and switching from Catholic to Christian, is more like labeling yourself male, then erasing it and putting human.) Never-the-less, she did and raised me with strong tones of "praying to saints is a violations of the 1st commandment" and other such things that further stretched the rift between Catholic and Christians in my mind.

And I feel that a lot of people, in America at least, think there is a difference. Perhaps that is a result of my upbringing though.

I think you might get a kick out of this post, http://forum.eviltheists.com/showthread.php?tid=25 It's a conversation I had with a Christian, earlier today. Keep in mind that yesterday me and you had a conversation about our contradicting beliefs, and through every second of this one I kept thinking what difference it is talking to someone who has thoroughly thought about what they believe, regardless of the outcome Wink At the end of it I even told them to read your post.

Understandable you have gone your own way if brought up in a Catholic world!!
Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious