Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
What happens when your soul goes to Heaven?
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
What happens when your soul goes to Heaven?
When your ‘soul’ goes to heaven, will you have the same mental deficiencies as you did when you died? In other words, would you have the same Alzheimer’s riddled malfunctioning mindset that you had before you died?

If you are born with a disadvantage or advantage, and you die and go to where ever you go, will you have that same advantage/disadvantage or not?

A quick answer to this is no, because you will not have your old body, but that isn’t exactly the question I pose. If you are born with Down-syndrome or are an autistic or an autistic savant, everything that is you is a direct result of your mind being different than the average persons mind. So would that same - not average - thought process be the same?

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
RE: What happens when your soul goes to Heaven?
With Roy Jackson. we gnu atheists demand evidence for the soul, contra-causal [causeless] free will, Heaven and Hell.. The begged question of the Buy-bull or the Qur'an just make for logicide!
Our minds are our brains at work: should our brains receive harm, so do our minds, and so no souls reveal themselves at work. The soul-idea violates the Ockham with an additional category without any evidence whatsoever!

The God-idea itself violates the Ockham with its convoluted, ad hoc assumptions for Him.
Directed evolution or theistic evolution violates the Ockham with the God-idea and furthermore, it contradicts rather than complements science with its divine teleology -His wanted outcomes- when science only finds teleonomy-causalism-mechanism- no wanted outcomes- at work!
So, the idea of a soul has no biological basis, and so it violates the Ockham through the God-idea and directed-evolution.
" Logic is the bane of theists." Fr. Griggs
http://fathergriggs.wordpress.com
http://skepticgriggsy.blogspot.com
http:// carneades.aimoo.com
http://inquiringlynnn.posterous.com
Find all posts by this user
07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
The idea of a soul probably comes from the positioning of our eyes and brain , most of our senses are situated in and around the head .
This would give the impression that the part of you which is" really "you is there, just behind the eyes and that the rest of the body is just the vehicle that carries you about. This is somewhat a bad view on your own existence as the brain and the rest of your body is a connected and constantly receiving information through your nervous system ,the extensions of your brain through every part of you. In fact , damage to any part of the brain and nervous system would render those parts useless , so the idea of the soul existing independent of the body seems not to work for those who suffer brain damage to one or more parts of the brain ,completely losing their identity and consciousness in some cases for decades in a vegetative state , then to argue this self awareness would return to then in completeness at their death , just doesn't figure .

My biggest concern lies in the preposterous idea that there is a soul in every 3-day-old human embryo, and the interests of one soul—the soul of a little girl with burns over 75 percent of her body, for instance ,cannot trump the interests of another supposed "soul", that happens to live inside a petri dish. Here, as ever, religious dogmatism impedes genuine wisdom and compassion.

A 3-day-old human embryo is a collection of 150 cells called a blastocyst. There are in comparison, more than 100,000 cells in the brain of a fly.
The embryos that are destroyed in stem-cell research do not have brains, or even neurons. But it is claimed they have a soul . Better stop biting my nails then in that case.
07-16-2011, 03:19 AM
I think the idea of the soul comes from our perception of our own consciousness and subconscious. We have this understanding that we exist, and are in control of our bodies, yet we don't have total control. To me the subconscious, at times, seems like an extra sense; The feeling that someone is looking at you, or correctly answering something that you didn't think you knew. Or more important (especially to people thousands of years ago) is the ability to have a conversation in your head with someone that has passed on (or perhaps I'm just insane, lol.) This is my best guess at how this idea of a soul could have originated.

There is a great video of Richard Dawkins talking to Wendy Wright, http://eviltheists.com/videos/173-richar...ndy-wright where they discuss the soul and Wendy keeps taking it to a lower level and asking if this person has a soul. If I recall correctly she asks Dawkins if someone that is completely brain dead is still alive and has a soul. The video is very entertaining, although it made me want to through my remote control through my TV. I can't believe how polite and calm Richard Dawkins is throughout the interview.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2011, 04:12 AM
I agree , this is a good theory also , why we continue to wish it were the case will have more to do with the fears we all posses connected to death and non- existence I reckon.

I will have to check out the Dawkins Wright video.
11-11-2012, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 04:34 AM by Angleyang.)
By the way, you will find it is easier to keep them clean. When you are back home from the game, put your jerseys into a sink to wash off dirt. It is necessary to soak for at least an hour but the jerseys will work better if it soaks overnight. Still, we should not use a chlorine bleach. It is just because the material of the MLB Jerseys are not allowed to use it and it will damage the jerseys. What's more, you shouldn't wash them with any other clothes because most of the clothes are made out of the cotton which will leave lint on the jerseys.

---------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: believe2_06_06.jpg]
NFL Jerseys,MLB Jerseys,NHL Jerseys

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious