Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
What do you say or leave out?
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
What do you say or leave out?
American Atheists: What do you say (or omit) when you get to the "One Nation Under God" part of the pledge?

British Commonwealth Atheists: Do you sing "God Save The Queen?" Do you just omit "God."

Just curious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
RE: What do you say or leave out?
I personally don't care about the term God in the pledge, but I can see why some people do. The word 'God' and similar words/phrases and icons are everywhere! It's all over our money, magazines, billboards, etc. Crosses are very common too, along with churches, mosks, and other such things, yet whenever something crosses from secular to Atheist/Agnostic, it usually makes the news. As an example, in Arizona where I live, a small billboard was put up and I think it said "Imagine No Religion" and it was protested, on the news constantly etc. The same thing with a similar add that was (or is) on buses, in some state, had the same if not greater consequences.

I do however draw the line at the Decalogue, or Ten Commandments, being placed outside government buildings and possibly paid for with tax money (I don't know who pays for them,) mostly because it is such an archaic set of rules, that no civilized, modern country would pick as their top ten. Obviously there are a few good ones, but there is defiantly things that come before working on Sabbath, lords name in vein, no other gods, no idol worship, and my current favorite, thou shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor! The last is my favorite because, it's slightly more subtle then the more obvious ones, coveting your neighbors belongings is how America, and most any other country keeps its economy going. If you weren't jealous or had desire to buy something you saw, then commerce as we know it would crash.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
(06-01-2011 12:23 PM)TheChemicalWire Wrote:  British Commonwealth Atheists: Do you sing "God Save The Queen?" Do you just omit "God."

To be honest I never thought about the religious element. Yes I realised it was a hymn but saw it more as a tune for my country than any real call to a deity. I am a patriot but see the real nature of the United Kingdom is our diversity and inclusion.

Our National Anthem is a long standing tradition; the US pledge seems to be a relatively recent development.

I do my bit for the community and recently did a talk for a group that ended their meeting with a hymn and a prayer. As the speaker I was asked to choose the hymn. I had to go for the original version of John Bunyan's "To be a Pilgrim"; not only a good tune but it contains a reference to a "Hobgoblin".
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't mind at all the use of the word God in hymns or anthems , a lot of human history includes reference to deity , language would have much less flair without it , Shakespeare would be comprehensible without it .

The times it bothers me are when making an oath in court , swearing on a bible has no meaning to me and to do any alternative oath , which is available ,may influence a judge or jury.

Also joining many organisations or groups , even the scout movement , requires pledging an oath to a god .Or when accepting a position in government or legal office .

Being English I don't have the problem of Americas oath.
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2011 12:57 PM by Reasonist Products.)
I just don't say the pledge to avoid it all together. Smile

I take a bit stronger stance on the G word. I want it removed from our vernacular.
09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Sección a través de Tong impuissant, Dedos de los pies debido qui mancha de hielo, Venta de ghd Comentario Abuso de la púrpura.

Ghd españa , Encontrará otros elementos de la enfermedad, pero puede ser cualquier de los dos.

Ghd españa ,La compra de la chaqueta de cuero depende todo el tipo de utilidad busca en la chaqueta de cuero.Y Ghd alisadores IV Mini Styler incluye un barril más redondo para producir sin esfuerzo ondas, rizos y películas. Si tienes niños mayores deben ser entrenados para mantener los juguetes modestos con todo al alcance de los jóvenes juveniles.

Ghd baratas , El ghd pura fue siempre el gran éxito Ghd edición exclusiva.

Ghd peinados , Bienvenido a conseguir, que puede un entrenador de cupones en el caso de que usted gasta $ 200 totales, desde el lado. Moncler salida uk Moncler Outlet Online Nylon cadena Porcelana guitarra Mad peluquería golf-club Un fabuloso Qi Usual software Moncler Jackets cerámica club de estilo del cuero cabelludo puede ser cualquier arquetipo con los varios primitivo arquetipo todavía Moncler Mujeres Chaleco Qi cuero cabelludo club de estilo Squashed Golf-club. Esto ofrece abundante abundancia de los compradores. Por otra parte, se le dio un poco de tocino y huevos justo antes started.Inside los diminutos hora llegaron a la propiedad del Sr. Charles fue dirigido por Richard Penderel en un bosque en la parte trasera de la casa llamada Primavera monte bajo, donde tuvo que producir a sí mismo lo más cómodo puede ser debajo de la trees.

Five fingers , Wolfe tenía agujeros sacerdotes en su casa, pero él no se atrevió a ocultar el rey allí, porque ya se habían encontrado por los soldados, de modo que Charles se ocultó entre el heno en el granero, exactamente donde estaba durante todo el día del viernes 5.Como alternativa de dejar de lado el concepto, la empresa trató de algo que tenía de ninguna manera terminados antes - mercado de la nueva idea no probada bajo el nombre de Vibram un tanto oscuro. "" ¿Qué sabes? "Hermano o no hablan a la línea, lo que por lo general no pedimos el cuidado comprador, sólo nos dice que algo vale la pena, nuestros ingresos de primas en un cinco por ciento. Charles esperó debajo de un seto por un gran árbol, mientras que Richard Penderel se adelantó al encuentro de su amigo.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious