Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Future Does Religion Have ?
07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
What Future Does Religion Have ?
Religion, I think, will die away naturally but gradually. So far, the transition out of the Age of Religion has not been easy but religion will come to an end, just as the Stone Age came to an end, despite there being no shortage of stones.

Along with better technologies, rational thinking is enabling us to develop better moralities and better ways of being in the world without primitive magical thinking. As a species we will find meaning in understanding where we came from and what we can become as no other species (as far as we know) has been able to do. Science and education will continue to enable more and more of us to understand the world and our real circumstances and science will enable us to extend our lives if we wish - eventually indefinitely. There will be no need for notions of gods and spirits or of some sort of eternal existence in a non-existent supernatural realm. People will no longer feel the need to believe (or even to entertain) such nonsense. They will no longer be able to do so. They’ll feel silly trying. Many of us have already passed this welcomed milestone. In the not to distant future, for virtually everyone, it will become like trying to believe in fairies.

Religion (especially in its more lethal manifestations) will be a way of thinking that we will look back on with a sense of sorrow at the trouble it caused but also with an understanding that it was a stage we had to pass through to get where we are going, just as the Stone Age had to be passed through to get where we are now.

Fortunately, given the accelerating rate of change since the Enlightenment, it is unlikely that our transition out of the Religious Age will take as long to get through as it took us to get through the Stone Age.

Barring some sort of cosmic catastrophe, how do you think the future will pan out?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2011, 03:52 AM
RE: What Future Does Religion Have ?
(07-14-2011 02:02 PM)Martinuk Wrote:  Along with better technologies, rational thinking is enabling us to develop better moralities and better ways of being in the world without primitive magical thinking. As a species we will find meaning in understanding where we came from and what we can become as no other species (as far as we know) has been able to do. Science and education will continue to enable more and more of us to understand the world and our real circumstances and science will enable us to extend our lives if we wish - eventually indefinitely.
Barring some sort of cosmic catastrophe, how do you think the future will pan out?

I'm not sure if extending our lives will have a religious reducing effect. I follow your logic, people believe X in the hope of eternal life; but I'm not sure what outcome this will produce. Especially since it will only be introduced to a segment of society (at least until more food and space become available) and it may create a religion of it's own. I look forward to the not so distant future when we will have to increase our brain processing ability to keep up with information input. Greatly enhancing our deductive reasoning ability should help reduce the belief in the supernatural.

I think it is going to be a long time before supernatural religion is accepted by fewer than 10% of the population. By a long time, I mean over 100 years; although as I've said before, its not a coincidence that since our ability to validate claims (through video, pictures, writing, etc.) has increased, there have been a drastic decrease in miraculous claims.

But for religion to be completely wiped out, I don't know. I wish I could say that I had more faith in people, but I don't. Today, there are still people who believe the Earth is flat, reality is just a figment of their mind, the Holocaust didn't happen, that they can telepathically communicate with a all powerful ever existing god, or that the Earth is the center of the solar system and galaxy and some how the universe too.

People are gullible, not stupid (well, by definition some are) and they create excuses for things they don't understand instead of trying to figure them out, or even worse they repeat other peoples guesses as if they are facts. Appending the supernatural label to something you can't figure out is understandable, but people label things that they do understand as supernatural because that's how they were raised or someone told them so; and this behavior will take a long time to weed out. Regardless of facts, logic, and evidence.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2011, 04:22 AM
RE: What Future Does Religion Have ?
Predictions of the future have never been a good idea , I was thinking more hypothetically , reality has always been stranger than prediction or fiction .

It's also difficult to leave our own biases behind , so I post at times with the intention to provoke debate rather than state my own train of thought .
Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious