Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Volunteering at Desert Mission Food Bank
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Volunteering at Desert Mission Food Bank
This is a repost form The Phoenix Atheists Meetup Group

It is for Phoenix, Arizona, USA There are tons of meetup groups everywhere too, so if your interested, I'm sure you can find a group near you.

****PLEASE READ the whole description here.****

Ok team, I've signed us up for this again. Last time we totally kicked butt in there and they were very happy with us, so we made a great impression on them and had a really good time doing it.

The director asked that the group park across the street in the medical office parking lot ….they are located at 4th street and Hatcher. She asked the volunteers to wear comfortable clothes and closed toed shoes ( no sandals) ….this is a must!!!

She didn't say exactly what we'd be doing, but I got the impression it would be the same thing as last time (an assembly line to make family food packages). A brief description of the 'usual' work from our fellow member Lynn Ellsworth: "Two or three people will be assigned to break down cardboard boxes and keep the assembly line workers supplied with can and box food items and keep the line free of debris. A couple of people who can be trusted with knives would be helpful for opening and breaking down boxes:-) It is 2 hours of hot, hard work, and all you will get is cold water in payment. Wear old clothes and full sneakers or shoes - no sandals as we work around pallets and occasionally drop cans of food."

Sharon, the director, needs us to show with a minimum of 20 people to do this, and a maximum of 25 (I will turn on the waiting list function for this). **UPDATE ON KIDS** - She told me "...during the summer we are bit more open to having children in ages 12-14…as long as they are supervised and can assist in the production." So if you want to bring a kid, those are the rules.

The shift is from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (I scheduled this for 4:45 because they need to brief us for a few minutes before we start work).

Because of the minimum and maximum numbers required for this, PLEASE only RSVP "YES" if you are absolutely certain that you are committed to attending. If you RSVP "YES" and something comes up, please remember to come back on the site and change your RSVP so someone else can get in. Thank you (in advance) fellow members for coming together for this!!!

Check it out!

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious