Poll: Do you see the difference?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe"
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 11:59 PM by Reason.)
Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe"
Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe" god exists. Do you see the difference?

If one says that something exists, they are claiming it as fact. Doing so places the burden of proof upon the person making the claim. Proof must be independent of mere belief or faith. It must not depend the bible, which by definition, "faith based." Faith is defined as "belief that is not based on proof."

I have no argument with theists who say I "believe" god exists. They are entitled to believe what they want. Just don't claim to have proof that you are right.

My absence of belief in the existence of god is my not faith based and therefore I have no need to prove that I am right. The difference is, I am not claiming that the non-existence of god is fact.

Non-existence is unprovable, but make no mistake, being unable to prove god dosn't exist is not proof that he does. Otherwise, one could say that unicorns, fairies and bigfoot exist without question.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
RE: Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe"
(06-23-2012 11:53 PM)Reason Wrote:  Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe" god exists. Do you see the difference?

If one says that something exists, they are claiming it as fact. Doing so places the burden of proof upon the person making the claim. Proof must be independent of mere belief or faith. It must not depend the bible, which by definition, "faith based." Faith is defined as "belief that is not based on proof."

I have no argument with theists who say I "believe" god exists. They are entitled to believe what they want. Just don't claim to have proof that you are right.

My absence of belief in the existence of god is my not faith based and therefore I have no need to prove that I am right. The difference is, I am not claiming that the non-existence of god is fact.

Non-existence is unprovable, but make no mistake, being unable to prove god dosn't exist is not proof that he does. Otherwise, one could say that unicorns, fairies and bigfoot exist without question.

In order to debate God's existence participants must agree on what kind of entity is God.

Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia) is the author of a FREE ON-LINE autobiography, entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).
08-03-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Theists say god exists, I say I don't "believe"
I, as an atheist, don't care what kind of entity gods are. They all reside in a supernaturel rhelm and therefore I do not believe any of them exist.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious