Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Theists: Does evil have an actual existence, or is it a lack of goodness?
07-05-2011, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2011 02:46 AM by Garrett Fogerlie.)
Theists: Does evil have an actual existence, or is it a lack of goodness?
In other words, if you describe evil as the absence of goodness/God, then evil has no actual existence...it's simply defined as the lack of something.
However, I've seen some who seem to say that evil has an actual existence unto itself.
What are your thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't post unrelated backlinks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
RE: Theists: Does evil have an actual existence, or is it a lack of goodness?
Sorry I'm not a theist but I do have thoughts on the true meaning of "evil".

I think evil in itself is non-existent , only people appear to posses the ability to perform truly evil acts . Animals can do what is in their instinct to survive or to ensure the continuity of their own genes progressing . Only humans seem to be able to commit an act of harm and destruction upon others that could be classed as evil , the ultimate evil being an act that not only causes harm to others , but that which is self destructive also , even when there is nothing to profit from said act.
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
RE: Theists: Does evil have an actual existence, or is it a lack of goodness?
Evil is just a label we give to things we deem less than or not good. And what is considered an 'evil' thing fluctuates drastically from person to person, belief to belief.

It gets into more of an ethical debate for me, like the cliché, is it wrong to steal bread to feed your starving family. (Or steal booze so you don't have to sober up, ha) As far as Evil being associated to a being, here is my thought:

Being an Atheist, I don't believe there is a Satan or Devil however, if there was, and God created it or at least accidentally created it/him, I believe the bible tale goes like this: God created Angels that had no free will, then humans with free will, and Lucifer (having some how developed free will) got angry and was banished, and so on; that's why I say 'accidentally.' Regardless, God is all powerful, and without thinking about it too hard, there can not be two things that are 'all powerful' because if one couldn't destroy the other it isn't 'all powerful' and like wise being able to be destroyed seems to be lacking a bit of power. Sorry for rambling, but my point is, if there was a Devil that's responsible for 'evil' the fact that God doesn't destroy it makes God a bit evil too!

If my roommate was killing people and I was aware of this, if I did nothing to stop it I am evil too. (and possibly could be found guilty after the fact in court.)

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious