Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
The Atheist Bookshelf
05-28-2011, 12:39 PM
The Atheist Bookshelf
Simply Put: If you had one bookshelf to dedicate to your books on Atheism, Skepticism, Rational Thinking, etc. what would be on it and why?

Here's just a few of mine........
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris because of its relevancy to America's destructive addiction to religion and its clear and concise rebuttal to "One Nation under(the thumb of) God."

Christopher Hitchen's God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything because the title explains it all.

Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion for it's rational and methodical debunking of the God myth. This book has "converted" two friends of mine, which stands as testament to its power.

What do you recommend?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2011, 10:53 PM
RE: The Atheist Bookshelf
Thats a great list, and they are most likely in my top 5 or so. I also like Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth. It is focused on evolution, like the majority of his books, but it goes into detail about amazing studies, and it is just packed full of great facts.

Have you read Christopher Hitchen's The Portable Atheist, Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever? I haven't but it is on my list.

Also, and this isn't a book, but Bill Maher's movie, Religulous was great, along with (I think it's called) The Atheists Tapes.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I just looked it up, it's not the Atheists Tapes, I was thinking of The God Who Wasn't There. It is a very good, low budget movie. Granted it has been a while since I have seen it, but from what I recall, it is worth watching.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
There is a video list on the Netflix Instant Stream called The Atheist Tapes by Johnathan Miller which is really good. Conversations with Colin McGinn, Steven Weinberg, Arthur Miller, Richard Dawkins, Denys Turner, and Daniel Dennett. Some really good stuff on there.
06-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I have The Atheist Tapes, although I've only watched random parts.

I just got The End of Faith, by Sam Harris on audio book. I think I have the book too, but lately I prefer audio books especially if they are read by their authors.

06-14-2011, 06:42 AM
(06-11-2011 11:25 PM)Garrett Fogerlie Wrote:  I just got The End of Faith, by Sam Harris on audio book. I think I have the book too, but lately I prefer audio books especially if they are read by their authors.

I am not much of a fan of Brian Emerson as the narrator in that one
A fantastic read (listen).
06-22-2011, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 07:33 AM by Dhb123.)
The first books I read after ejecting my religion were The End of Faith and God Is Not Great, both of which were enlightening, but nothing bolstered my confidence in the argument for anti-theism quite like The Selfish Gene. Also, I enjoyed Robert Ingersoll's book What's God Got To Do With It? It's a very short, easy read, and most impressive that it was written in the 19th century.

And I almost forgot to mention Liars For Jesus, by Chris Rodda. It was offered free online, in a downloadable PDF format, but I'm not sure if it is anymore. It's definitely worth a look.
06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
(06-22-2011 07:24 AM)Dhb123 Wrote:  nothing bolstered my confidence in the argument for anti-theism quite like The Selfish Gene.

I completely agree! and The Greatest Show on Earth too.

(06-22-2011 07:24 AM)Dhb123 Wrote:  Also, I enjoyed Robert Ingersoll's book What's God Got To Do With It? It's a very short, easy read, and most impressive that it was written in the 19th century.

And I almost forgot to mention Liars For Jesus, by Chris Rodda.

I don't believe I've read either of these. Thanks

07-28-2011, 12:27 AM
(06-11-2011 09:48 AM)TheChemicalWire Wrote:  There is a video list on the Netflix Instant Stream called The Atheist Tapes by Johnathan Miller which is really good. Conversations with Colin McGinn, Steven Weinberg, Arthur Miller, Richard Dawkins, Denys Turner, and Daniel Dennett. Some really good stuff on there.

I try to read when I can and have read most of the books both yourself and others have mentioned .

I think the biggest problem for Atheist and Believers alike is that reading appears to be less popular and to some a bit of a chore . I can understand this too . Watching youtube or other sites that provide instant access to these important authors is invaluable in reaching the non-reading side of society , you can get a pretty good idea of the facts doing this in a shorter time scale ,if not in as much detail .

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious