Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Taking Bible Verses Out of Context
08-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Question Taking Bible Verses Out of Context
Almost anytime I make a point based on something in the Bible, the first thing I hear is, "Your taking that out of context!"

The Bible is a big book of multiple choice! The majority of the bible is filled with things pastors rarely preach about. There are good things in the bible, but there are a lot more bad things, and some of these contradict each other.

So I wanted to have a thread where people can post quotes or statements that Atheists spout, that you think are out of context.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2011, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 03:14 AM by Piranhapoodle.)
RE: Taking Bible Verses Out of Context
My favourite ones are the lists of violent or nasty events in the Bible, as argument of how the Bible is an evil book inciting violence. They're completely ignoring the fact that this only makes sense if these events are accompanied by God's approval. Many events are actively condemned by God or by others, or the judgement of the event is not stated at all. Would the same people cite history to show how violent history books are?

Example:
"Omg that crazy bible has a messed up up story about how Lot had sex with his daughters!"
Bible: Why yes, yes it was messed up.
(How this act would be a big problem anyway in a secular world escapes me btw.)
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 07:16 AM
RE: Taking Bible Verses Out of Context
I don't think that Lot having sex with his daughters is morally acceptable, at least by our standards that we have today.

Even though the bible tries to make it seem somewhat acceptable by explicitly pointing out how he was 'tricked' by his daughters because they got him drunk (over and over again.) To me this seems like something a molesters would say happened to them. It's the “I can't be held responsible” because I was drugged/seduced, etc. The entire event was set into motion by God’s doing, and God doesn’t seem to put forth the effort to prevent this or repair the devastation he (God) caused on the family.

Regardless, Lot's family was supposed to be the only 'pure' family in the city, and God took his wife just because she looked back at the city they came from while it was being destroyed. Taking a 'good' man's wife for a minor disobedience seems quite excessive to me. And then his daughters and himself were forced to live in caves in the desert. If nothing happened between him and his daughters then it would be unlikely that the story would have ever advanced beyond them.

It's been a while since I've read the story, but to my memory, I don't recall God doing anything to help prevent this, like guiding the family to a new city instead of isolating them in the middle of nowhere.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious