Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Questions about Heaven
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Questions about Heaven
Are there plants and animals, or are the gardeners and pet-lovers and bird-watchers and equestrians out of luck?

Do all your dead pets join you in heaven?

Will your memory of your sins be wiped clean, or will you still have shame?

If you had a miscarriage on Earth at ten weeks' term, is the child waiting to meet you in heaven?

What about discarded human embryos?

What about stem cells?

If you were a fetus or infant or child at death and get an adult's mind in heaven, what determines your personality?

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2011, 09:43 AM
RE: Questions about Heaven
Answering from a Catholic viewpoint (or at least what I am told from Catholics)

Are there plants and animals, or are the gardeners and pet-lovers and bird-watchers and equestrians out of luck?
Yes. Heaven is supposed to be a place of happiness, and that requires plants and animals to be able to go to heaven.

Do all your dead pets join you in heaven?
Yes

Will your memory of your sins be wiped clean, or will you still have shame?
False dichotomy. No to both parts of the question. The sins are alleged to be "forgiven" but not erased, and heaven is supposed to be a place of happiness, so there would be no shame there.

If you had a miscarriage on Earth at ten weeks' term, is the child waiting to meet you in heaven?
Yes

What about discarded human embryos?
The physical ones, no. The souls of them, yes.

What about stem cells?
Stem cells are just a portion of a person/fetus. The obvious answer is no. This question then turns into the last one.

If you were a fetus or infant or child at death and get an adult's mind in heaven, what determines your personality?
One can not answer this hypothetical to any degree of accuracy. To do so one would have to die, ask God/Jesus, undie, and report on it. Although if anybody does that nobody will believe them.
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2011, 02:13 AM
What if you made it to heaven but your wife and kids didn't, would you have memory of them or big gaps, some scripture says you would be able to see the torments of hell, so that would be a bit cruel to be in heaven watching your loved ones suffer...hmmm, to many what ifs to be credible I reckon.
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
I have asked that question to preachers and bible teachers, and the most common answer I have received is that in heaven there is no pain or sadness, so you will have no memory of them since this would cause you to not be euphoric or happy.

To me this is just another cop-out, since who you are is based solely on your genetics and memories. And if your memories would be altered so that you have no sadness, it seems like it would change who you are!

This kind of seems like it would effect the 'reward' some people expect they should get by seeing people that they didn't like or that didn't share their views suffering/burning in hell. On some level, it seems that knowing that people are suffering would be depressive, at least it is to me. Even now when I see those commercials about people starving it saddens me. And this is what would make me not like "God" if I thought he even existed, because he is all powerful, therefore he should be able to remove Satan, and suffering for all life, but he doesn't!

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious