Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ken - Bio
11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Ken - Bio
My name is Ken.

Born near Yosemite National Park on the Ranch my Grandfather homesteaded in 1923. I live there now.

I teach religious studies, philosophy, Critical thinking,and psychology at the University of Phoenix. My drive to be a better critical thinker led me to a deep analysis of religion(s). I have long been a Vispassana mediator and understood that my enlightenment was my job, no one was going to do it for me, but still around the edges shimmered his desire to believe that there had to be papa god.

Then on day as I considered Eh Paseco -- Buddha is reported to have said: Take nothing on authority, check it out for yourself, if it makes you happier, then use it, if it does not then do not do it.

At that moment I stepped out of my mind forged Manacles (Blake) and became free -- exhilarating, scary, a self-responsible.

That is when my psychological troubles began to disappear with hard work - pretty severe PTSD from Vietnam and some of the childhood trauma stuff. -- now if I was to be happy, well adjusted, sane, unconditioned by the media, it was up to me, and only to me. That is: If the people I am around do not facilitate self-awareness, self-responsibility, and if they do not struggle to tell the best possible truth, then I do not hang around.

I find that many atheists are so into belief that they are as fanatical as fundamentalists - thus creating a strange and dystonic energy. Religion is so absurd, that no response or a ironic response serves best -- I say: "Zeus bless you" or "only one more god not to believe in and we will be free."

At the university, I have to be careful, as I am near the California bible belt, if oyu believe in the wrong god or the wrong interpretation you are going to hell. But, to not believe puts you so far out of the Club Delusional that discrimination, violence, and unemployment are distinct possibilities.

One question I ask my class: "Is morality possible with religion?" -- this comes after the careful setup -- to be moral means to freely choose your action -- if I am going to burn my flesh to fuel heaven if I make the wrong choice -- then I am not freely deciding.

Thus there is no morality with religion - only a religion-free person can make a moral decision.

"Hooray for Ra" "go Ganesha go!" "Gilgamesh Bless our troops" "Hail Zoroaster"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2011, 01:25 AM
RE: Ken - Bio
(11-20-2011 05:38 PM)zkwest Wrote:  My name is Ken.

Born near Yosemite National Park on the Ranch my Grandfather homesteaded in 1923. I live there now.

I teach religious studies, philosophy, Critical thinking,and psychology at the University of Phoenix. My drive to be a better critical thinker led me to a deep analysis of religion(s). I have long been a Vispassana mediator and understood that my enlightenment was my job, no one was going to do it for me, but still around the edges shimmered his desire to believe that there had to be papa god.

Then on day as I considered Eh Paseco -- Buddha is reported to have said: Take nothing on authority, check it out for yourself, if it makes you happier, then use it, if it does not then do not do it.

At that moment I stepped out of my mind forged Manacles (Blake) and became free -- exhilarating, scary, a self-responsible.

That is when my psychological troubles began to disappear with hard work - pretty severe PTSD from Vietnam and some of the childhood trauma stuff. -- now if I was to be happy, well adjusted, sane, unconditioned by the media, it was up to me, and only to me. That is: If the people I am around do not facilitate self-awareness, self-responsibility, and if they do not struggle to tell the best possible truth, then I do not hang around.

I find that many atheists are so into belief that they are as fanatical as fundamentalists - thus creating a strange and dystonic energy. Religion is so absurd, that no response or a ironic response serves best -- I say: "Zeus bless you" or "only one more god not to believe in and we will be free."

At the university, I have to be careful, as I am near the California bible belt, if oyu believe in the wrong god or the wrong interpretation you are going to hell. But, to not believe puts you so far out of the Club Delusional that discrimination, violence, and unemployment are distinct possibilities.

One question I ask my class: "Is morality possible with religion?" -- this comes after the careful setup -- to be moral means to freely choose your action -- if I am going to burn my flesh to fuel heaven if I make the wrong choice -- then I am not freely deciding.

Thus there is no morality with religion - only a religion-free person can make a moral decision.

"Hooray for Ra" "go Ganesha go!" "Gilgamesh Bless our troops" "Hail Zoroaster"

Hello Ken I like your intro, I expect you have some interesting views you could share, I reckon your safe to do so on here, no one will stone you and we try to keep light hearted when we can, feel free to bring to life any thread you like, I'm sure you will get a response.

Regards

Martin.
Find all posts by this user
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 12:33 PM by Garrett Fogerlie.)
RE: Ken - Bio
(11-20-2011 05:38 PM)zkwest Wrote:  I teach religious studies, philosophy, Critical thinking,and psychology at the University of Phoenix.

You probably live near me then, I never went there, but I took a online class there and donate to a fund for them. I loved philosophy and world religions, i assume that is similar to religious studies (as much as I could love a class that wasn't math or engineering based.)

(11-20-2011 05:38 PM)zkwest Wrote:  Take nothing on authority, check it out for yourself, if it makes you happier, then use it, if it does not then do not do it.

Such a great quote.

(11-20-2011 05:38 PM)zkwest Wrote:  I find that many atheists are so into belief that they are as fanatical as fundamentalists - thus creating a strange and dystonic energy.

I think that a lot of the people that openly express that they are Atheists are a bit fanatical. Otherwise they don't really mention it or just say that they are Agnostic or just spiritual. As for being near the "California bible belt," I've been to every state and all but Alaska, New Hampshire, and maybe Massachusetts are extremely religious and if you admit to being Atheist you are outcast. I know for a fact that when I finally stopped side-stepping the religion question, I absolutely lost business and customers!

(11-20-2011 05:38 PM)zkwest Wrote:  One question I ask my class: "Is morality possible with religion?"

That is a good question, I'm not sure I have looked at it this way. I was just discussing how religious inspired terrorism has changed the world, and it occurred to me that one positive thing that may come from it is a world where people are more united, eventually this should evolve, but it occurred to me that it may/probably will happen sooner than it would if terrorism wasn't recognized. What do you think? (And anyone else reading this.)

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious