Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Jesus' wikedness
07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Jesus' wikedness
I was thinking I would throw this idea out there and see if fellow atheists are interested in it. I would like to compile a list of examples of Jesus acting less than advertised by believers. I know there are some examples of this but don't know exact chapter and verse. Can you guys help? It would be helpful, for discussions with theists, to have this information readily available.

We could even open this question up to all wicked acts in the New Testament in general. Because I find that giving theists examples of evil in the Old Testament just isn't enough.

Andy
ReasonistProducts.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
RE: Jesus' wikedness
(07-12-2011 10:00 PM)Reasonist Products Wrote:  I was thinking I would throw this idea out there and see if fellow atheists are interested in it. I would like to compile a list of examples of Jesus acting less than advertised by believers. I know there are some examples of this but don't know exact chapter and verse. Can you guys help? It would be helpful, for discussions with theists, to have this information readily available.

We could even open this question up to all wicked acts in the New Testament in general. Because I find that giving theists examples of evil in the Old Testament just isn't enough.

Andy
ReasonistProducts.com

Great idea Andy , you often find contradictions between those statements attributed to Jesus and those stated by the writers of the letters , also many of the letters of Paul for instance are disputed as forgery , the styles being as different as Enid Blighten is to Shakespeare . Other Dogmas are absent from the cannon completely, the assumption of Mary or even Christmas .

Regards

Martin.
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Allow me to clarify my request. I'm seeking examples in the New Testament where Jesus (or his followers) are acting less than advertised by Christians. It would really help in a coversational battle if I had examples of wickedness from the New Testament. Christians often say to me, when given examples of Old Testament evil, "but that's not Jesus, that's Old Testament stuff."

An example of what I'm after would be in Luke 19:27 when Jesus says, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Are there other examples of this?

Andy
ReasonistProducts.com
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Like I said ,it's a good idea , I was suggesting that you would find more arguments if you didn't restrict yourself to "Jesus quotes or actions."

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

But slavery itself is not condemned in the epistles in many places.

Here is a page on a site that might help you get started :-
http://www.evilbible.com/what_would_jesus_do.htm
07-16-2011, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2011 05:02 AM by Garrett Fogerlie.)
(07-12-2011 10:00 PM)Reasonist Products Wrote:  We could even open this question up to all wicked acts in the New Testament in general. Because I find that giving theists examples of evil in the Old Testament just isn't enough.

I always find it funny how quick people are to disassociate the evil in the Old Testament by saying things like 'the New Testament replaces the Old,' and then they go right back to the Ten Commandments, or Creation, or some other Old Testament story that is somewhat less evil.

Not to mention, God was evil (without a doubt) in the old Testament, though supposedly Jesus is God, not just his son, but actually God himself (I bet it was a time travel accident, like in the show Futurama where Fry became his own grandfather) so what caused this drastic changes in a supposedly all powerful infallible God?

But to answer your question, the Skeptics Annotated Bible is a good place to start, they have it divided up into categories of evil, bs, contradictory, etc. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/links.html

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
you're the man Garrett, thanks for the resource, and thanks to Martin for the information too

Ya I find it really difficult when Christians dismiss half of their holy book. Its classic selective belief. It happened just the other day for me:

I had an old christian man come to my door the other day with a Starbucks gift card with my roommates name on it (yes she's a christian, it makes our living situation fun for drunken conversations). She wasn't home so I told him I'd give it to her. As he was walking away I knew I couldn't let him off that easy. I asked him why he was giving it to her. "Are you bribing her to come back to your church?" Apparently that was really the wrong thing to say. He said, "It was her first time there and we want to thank her for coming and welcome her back." "It really seems like bribery to me." We went on from there for 20 minutes about all the usual arguments and the conversation finally ended when I admitedly tired him out. But the conversation was winding down anyway when he said, "I refuse to talk about anything in the Old Testament." It was truly a conversation killer.

Andy
ReasonistProducts.com
07-21-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm really not one to talk when it comes to bribing people, I'm giving away books, etc to gain members. But when I was involved in the church, we used to go door to door in groups of 2, I wish it would have occurred to me to refuse to talk about the Old Testament, it would have made the whole process much more simple.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious