Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
It's Me Martin , HI !
08-10-2011, 05:06 AM
It's Me Martin , HI !
Hello to all,
I am your average ,40 something ,North of England , live and let live type of guy . I grew up among working class people and still live there . Our town has had its ups and downs , the coal mine closed and Heroin took over for a while , there are just as many churches as there are pubs and bars here , quite normal then really .
You might think that growing up here I was safe from the influence of wacky ideas and cults , not being in the bible belt or Middle East , but I was the unfortunate child who followed a procession of children behind a woman singing and playing the accordion in the street , the leader of a congregation of fundamentalists who wanted to expand into our town . I was eight years old and the next seven years were a blur to me , I was taught of hell fire , sin against the holy spirit and much about guilt and the sin of thinking of all things .
This cult had my complete devotion ,so much so that even while they abused me I remained faithful ,it was only later when I realised , much confusion was the next experience and after years of therapy as an adult I now can see how dangerous and harmful this was to me , it spoiled my childhood , twisted my mind and even now echoes of guilt find their way into my mind until I stop and rationalise things .
There should be a health warning comes with religion , or maybe some of us should sue the church for mental cruelty . I guess I’m not the first or last to have these experiences , but lets hope that reason will prevail and crimes against the young ,under the guise of kindness and purity can be stopped .

My life is cool now by the way , I have kids and a wife and a good job , ALL MY OWN WORK ,NO GOD INVOLVED !!

Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2011, 03:07 AM
RE: It's Me Martin , HI !
I'm not sure if I've asked you this elsewhere, but were your parents religious? Were you raised in a particular religion? If not, how did you get involved with the one you spoke of?

(08-10-2011 05:06 AM)Martinuk Wrote:  There should be a health warning comes with religion , or maybe some of us should sue the church for mental cruelty.

I've thought the same thing! There is so much people keep there kids away from, violence, profanity, sex, etc. every day; then on Sunday they send there kids into church to be taught that we are all evil and are powerless to do good. They read the heinous acts of the bible like they are nothing, but if it was on TV they wouldn't let kids watch it! For some reason telling your kid that they will burn in hell forever isn't child abuse if it's accepted by the majority.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious