Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good Atheist related movies
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2011 05:56 AM by Garrett Fogerlie.)
Good Atheist related movies
Religulous by Bill Maher is a great movie, and he make the best point at the end,

Quote:The irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end.
The plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live. The hour is getting very late to be able to indulge in having in key decisions made by religious people. By irrationalists, by those who would steer the ship of state not by a compass, but by the equivalent of reading the entrails of a chicken.
George Bush prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn a lot about it. Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction.
Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not.
The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you actually comes at a terrible price. If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you'd resign in protest. To do otherwise is to be an enabler, a mafia wife, for the true devils of extremism that draw their legitimacy from the billions of their fellow travelers.
If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it. That's it. Grow up or die.

A couple other good or at least interesting movies are The God Who Wasn't There and then Marjoe. Marjoe is an old documentary, and isn't really worth watching, but his story and his upbringing is very interesting. His parents were traveling preachers and they named him Marjoe after Marry and Joseph. They raised him to think he was the second coming of Jesus, and did horrible things to him. The made him a preacher at a very young age and swindled millions of dollars of of believers.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
RE: Good Atheist related movies
Garrett,

That's kind of a heavy handed posting for a forum about movies.

I gotta suggest "Life of Brian" though. It's Monty Python, made in 1978 and it's brilliant and hilarious. Every good atheist/agnostic/theist should see it. :-)

You can catch 'Marjoe' on YouTube. (at least I did) It's not quite what you describe above. What I took from it was just how brazenly profiteering the evangelical movement is. And, it brings to light how clergy can become trapped in their field. Marjoe gives several rousing sermons during the course of the movie and it's amazing to watch him, knowing that he's completely insincere. After watching Marjoe, you'll never look at preachers the same way again.

There's a book out right now called, "Heaven is for Real". That kid will see Marjoe someday and be REALLY pissed at his parents.

Anyway, I hope the tone of this message sparks some people to remember things they've seen. And, lightens the mood.

Maher's Religulous is 'creepy' while making you laugh at the same time. Excellent movie.
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2011, 09:03 AM
RE: Good Atheist related movies
I suppose I did start this off a bit strong. Although I do love Religulous, and think it was funny with a good lesson to take from it.

Yah, Life of Brian is good. I haven't seen it in a long time. The movie Marjoe (I don't think I have watched it all the way through) is interesting. What I said about his life or upbringing, if it's not in the movie, I got it from a book about him. I'm fairly sure it's accurate.

The Invention of Lying is a good movie. It's not the best comedy but it was better than I expected.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious