Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
God, Gods and our attempts to please them
08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
God, Gods and our attempts to please them
I find it interesting if not funny, that in the bible, God appears as a bush that's on fire, a dust devil, and other commonly occurring things. Along with angels who are always 'disguised' as ordinary people. If he is God he should appear as a god! Not like things that happen on a daily basis, at the very least this makes it hard to determine if such a item is God or just another cloud.

It bothers me when people give ordinary things, a supernatural explanation. Like the rainbow after the 'great flood', apparently before this light couldn't refract? This would be a problem, especially if you wanted color, or light and the ability to see in general.

Why did God take his sweet ass time to announce his existence? And only to such a small tribe of people? (Ignoring the fact that his method of just telling a few and relying on word of mouth to do the rest, gauntness that there will be variation and alteration occurring at every step! This has led to so much murder and atrocities as this story morphed into different religions over time.) By showing himself in this manner, God has kept his existence hidden to the majority of humans that have lived. Even to this day there are people that have never heard this story. Do they go to hell? To them this must seem like a big F-You from God.

At least believing that the sun is a god makes some sense. It is much easier for me to see how people could have worshiped it, since it gives life, light, and warmth. However I think the sun was to too regular, always predictable, never harming someone who you don't like, or not rising for someone who deserves some punishment you are unable to bestow. So mankind had to move on, they needed a God that isn't reliable, one who pleasing is more of a guess and check method. You never really know if your doing the rite thing, you just change what you are doing (offering, praising, etc) if something bad happens. Until we get to the point of burning virgins alive so that there may be rain. Or, our more modern approach of blaming natural events, like earthquakes and hurricanes, on debauchery, deals with the devil, gays, and any other things you personally don't like!

For those who don't know, in America, Texas is having a big prayer rally for the economy, debt and a few other issues. This isn't a small church event, this is being held in a stadium organized by the Governor of Texas, and its being advertised nation wide. It really doesn't seem like we have come very far. Apart from placing a higher value on life, we haven't really changed much from when we used to sacrifice virgins to appease the volcano gods.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious