Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FAITH HEALING , PLACEBO OR WOO .
07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
FAITH HEALING , PLACEBO OR WOO .
A group of healers, collectively known as ThetaHealing, claim that their technique - which focuses on thought and prayer - can teach people to use their natural intuition and “brain wave cycle” to “create instantaneous physical and emotional healing.”

ThetaHealing have about 600 practitioners in the UK who charge up to £100 per session.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/ne...519657.stm

What are they really selling here. Is it healing or self help . Studies on the placebo effect and self belief suggests that we could influence our own health , stimulating our own bodies natural resistance to illness .

But is this not a massive leap beyond mere placebo and at £100 a pop.

Smells of woo to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 12:15 AM
RE: FAITH HEALING , PLACEBO OR WOO .
If there was some magical system to heal people, it wouldn't be hidden or only used by a few. It would only take a few well documented cases before it would be mainstream, and then it would exponentially gain in popularity if it worked.

I don't know how many of these 'healers' really believe what they say or if they are just trying to scam desperate people out of their money.

I live in Arizona, and just an hours drive north of me is the town, Sedona. This is the New Age capital of the world. People sell crystals that heal you of cancer, rocks that will bring you peace, and take you on hikes to places where there are concentrations of "spiritual vortices."

It all reminds me of the no touch healing, where someone lets their energy flow into you by just placing their hands and inch or two over you. This was scientifically proven wrong by a simple experiment where a practitioner would place their hands through a divided and a person would place their hand over either the practitioners left or right hand. The goal was for the practitioner to determine if the other persons hand was over their left or right hand. Once everything thing was tallied up it turned out that they did a bit worse then just guessing.

Daren Brown recreated this on one of his shows, I don't recall the name, but it is totally worth watching.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious