Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Earth is the Center of the Universe.....
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Earth is the Center of the Universe.....
A few Catholics still insist Galileo was wrong

They say Earth is the center of the universe, embracing church teachings of four centuries ago.

A few conservative Roman Catholics are pointing to a dozen Bible verses and the church's original teachings as proof that Earth is the center of the universe, the view that was at the heart of the church's clash with Galileo Galilei four centuries ago.

The relatively obscure movement has gained a following among those who find comfort in knowing there are still staunch defenders of early church doctrine.

This subject is, as far as I can see, an embarrassment to the modern church because the world more or less looks upon geocentrism, or someone who believes it, in the same boat as the flat Earth.

Read Full Article
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...6009.story
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
RE: Earth is the Center of the Universe.....
(08-31-2011 03:29 PM)Martinuk Wrote:  A few Catholics still insist Galileo was wrong

They say Earth is the center of the universe, embracing church teachings of four centuries ago.

A few conservative Roman Catholics are pointing to a dozen Bible verses and the church's original teachings as proof that Earth is the center of the universe, the view that was at the heart of the church's clash with Galileo Galilei four centuries ago.

The relatively obscure movement has gained a following among those who find comfort in knowing there are still staunch defenders of early church doctrine.

This subject is, as far as I can see, an embarrassment to the modern church because the world more or less looks upon geocentrism, or someone who believes it, in the same boat as the flat Earth.

Read Full Article
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...6009.story

Technically, they're correct in their interpretations. In fact, I would argue that all of Americans, with the exception of very very few cases (maybe), will be doomed to hell if it (the Christian religion) turned out to be true, even those who are passionately convinced that they are "saved". The evidence for this is clear to anyone who has studied the bible and lived anywhere in the US. Having come from a staunchly southern baptist area in southern Arkansas (10x more rural and backward than north AR), I can say with confidence that every person I went to church with growing up will be going to hell by the standards of the bible. Ever since I began to question my religious upbringing I've always maintained that "American-Christian" is an oxymoron.
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2011, 07:29 AM
RE: Earth is the Center of the Universe.....
Wow, I thought it was a typo when you said they think the earth is at the center of the universe. I thought you meant its at the center of the solar system. But nope, they think the earth is at the center of the universe!

Wow, that's hard idea to sell. Especially since we can easily see the bulge in the center of our galaxy, and that we are on the edge of it. With the help of telescopes, we can see that there are many other galaxies and our galaxy is moving along with them all.

The earth not only is not at the center of the universe, it is in motion and is never in the same place twice (when compared to its position in the universe.)

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious