Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Do not tempt or test God
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Do not tempt or test God
Quote:We may not test or tempt God. At Massah they tempted the Lord God Deut 6:16 and it brought God's wrath down upon them. Exodus 17:7. We see it again in Psalm 78:18 - 31 the Jews tempted the Lord and doubted his powers and he killed the leading men of the nation of Israel. When God told King Ahaz to request a sign Ahaz refused saying "I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD" Isaiah 7:10 - 12

In Matthew 4:7 and Luke 4:12 Jesus quotes scripture in a reference to Deuteronomy 6:16. Jesus makes the same injunction in Matthew 4:7 and Luke 4:12 when he says , "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Paul threatens us with snakes in 1 Corinthians 10:9.

This idea of not testing God seems to me as an outrageous demand! It forces believers who obey it, to believe on faith alone. Faith sounds like a good or virtuosoes thing, but when you think about it, no one uses faith alone for even minor things. (Minor when compared to possible eternal torcher.) If you had cancer and they told you they were going to throw rocks at you to try to cure it, you would demand research, test data, etc. before you choose that treatment.

But when it comes to choosing to believe in the God of the Hebrew Bible over the thousands of other Gods, you cannot ask for some proof?

Quote:Deuteronomy 6:16
Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God.

Matthew 4:7, Luke 4:12
Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Granted the Bible isn't completely consistent on this idea (like many other ideas in it.) When I was pretty young, in the area of 8 or 9, I remember doing the test that Gideon did, after reading about it in the Bible. Unfortunately my test did not have the same outcome as his supposedly had.

Quote:And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said, Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said. And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water. And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew. And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all the ground. -- Judges 6:36-40

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious