Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About me
08-14-2011, 09:27 AM
About me
Hi, I just stumbled on this forum and decided to take a look because I found the title very striking, so well done.

I am 25 years old, living in Amsterdam (Netherlands) and I am 2 weeks away from getting my academic degree in human movement sciences. My interests are psychology, history, evolution, science fiction and religion.

My world view is 10% christian, 45% humanistic and 45% agnostic. I'm a bit religious because I find religion interesting and I need it to keep up my humanism. I like christianity because it matches the nuances of life best in my opinion and because it has a long history of being shaped an molded by criticism and philosophy. And coincidentally I was also raised as a christian.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2011, 11:08 AM
RE: About me
Welcome and glad to have you here!

Human movement sciences, wow! That's a cool, rare, and interesting field, what is your desired job? Also, I'm interested in hearing what you consider the differences are between humanism and agnosticism? They don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

The title Evil Theists comes across a bit harsh, but I think it is understandable. You said you were raised a Christian, have you studied any other beliefs? If so what do you think the probability is that you would believe/accept those religions ~ 10% if you were raised in any of them? Around what age did you start to think that Christianity may not have all the answers? And was there anything in particular that made you think this?

I was raised Christian and a few things that made me unsure were that over the many years, so many people had died without ever hearing about God; and the way everyone seems to interpret the bible in so many different ways. It seemed improbable for an all mighty God who was involved in everyone's life like I was raised to believe. I was raised in a private Christian school in America, and we had about 2 hours of bible study every day, so I quickly became intimate with the different stories in it, and things that seemed to contradict each other.

My personal #1 reason that I don't like religion is because I like knowledge! And Religion suppresses knowledge; not just the knowledge unfortunately, but it suppresses the entire drive to understand.
http://www.EvilTheists.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi ,

welcome to the site , nice to hear a bit about you

Martin.
08-17-2011, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2011 07:21 AM by Piranhapoodle.)
(08-14-2011 11:08 AM)Garrett Fogerlie Wrote:  Welcome and glad to have you here!

Human movement sciences, wow! That's a cool, rare, and interesting field, what is your desired job? Also, I'm interested in hearing what you consider the differences are between humanism and agnosticism? They don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

It is very interesting, yes. I'd like to do research on things that are about both psychology and movement (if the economy allows, hopefully). My thesis was about how police officers move differently when they have to perform self defence skills under stress. That was pretty neat.

I put agnosticism in there because there are many things in Christianity or humanism that I believe we can never know. Humanism also assumes humans have values and rights, but we can never be certain of what those are exactly. For instance, do ethics depend on the culture you're in? Or can we say that some cultures are bad? Why would people have the right to be free or be treated equally?

Quote:The title Evil Theists comes across a bit harsh, but I think it is understandable. You said you were raised a Christian, have you studied any other beliefs? If so what do you think the probability is that you would believe/accept those religions ~ 10% if you were raised in any of them? Around what age did you start to think that Christianity may not have all the answers? And was there anything in particular that made you think this?

I guess I know some things about Islam, paganistic religions and Zen Buddhism. If I was born a muslim I would probably find it not worth the effort to publicly renounce my religion, so 90%. From paganism, the step to a monotheistic religion is quite easy and logical I think, so 3%. Zen Buddhism is more a philosophy and not very radical, so I think I would stop caring after a while, 30%. How would you answer your question yourself?

I think I was around 14 when I realised that some beliefs my parents held were not very wise in my opinion. I was also very confused about the whole creationism/evolution debate. These kind of doubts and troubles made me very anxious and somewhat sad. At one point I decided that if I rely on my own reasoning while having good intentions, no matter what conclusions I reach, there shouldn't be anything bad or sinful about that.

So now I feel that the things you experience in life and your own reasoning should be just as important as the things you are taught or the things you read in a book. I believe that everybody is equally valuable, and if people live their life with good intentions and love others, they will not be punished only for not believing if there is any justice. So maybe they're not going to sit on Jesus' right hand high in heaven or something, but it cannot end bad for such people. The old way of fearfully clinging to faith is just not going to last. And if it does, human freedom and well-being are not going to last.

You was raised as a christian yourself, so you probably recognise the anxiety that loosing faith can bring? I felt always so threatened by other views, and it troubled me so much seeing dumb christians getting slaughtered in online debates by more intelligent atheists. Now, I am so much more relaxed (although I'm also a bit idle).

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious